Welcome to Library Lions interviews. Raising a Roar for Libraries

Welcome to Library Lions interviews. Raising a Roar for Libraries

Saturday, August 18, 2012

AUTHOR DEB LUND'S LIBRARY LOVE

Welcome to Library Lions interviews Raising a Roar for libraries and the outstanding librarians serving youth in schools and public libraries across the U.S. Please Roar today’s guest Author Deb Lund here to share her Library Love with us.


Deb Lund started writing for children when she was a school librarian. She’s the author of Monsters on Machines

and Harcourt’s celebrated dinobooks, which will soon become a dinothrillogy.












Deb has taught writing for over twenty years at conferences, workshops, libraries, and schools. She supports writers and teachers through creativity coaching, continuing education courses, and other resources. Visit Deb's Website         

Library Love When You Were A Cub
We didn’t have a public library in my small northern Minnesota hometown, but I remember being a first grader listening to my school librarian, Miss Jacobson, read Winnie the Pooh to us. I even know exactly where I sat on the floor. After all the picture books she had shared with us, I was so impressed that she trusted us to understand such a complex story. It was a lesson that served me well when I became a librarian myself. 


                                                   Photo Deb in First Grade

More Library Love

As a past school librarian, I absolutely love hanging out with my old colleagues at their conferences and meetings. And my local Sno-Isle library system and King County libraries have kept me busy with presentations. One of my favorite library visits included performing songs and stories with my husband Karl Olsen of The Brothers Four for the donors of the newly remodeled Coupeville Public Library. I recently got to talk about writing with kids in the library at Hillcrest Elementary in Oak Harbor, where I used to be the librarian. I support libraries whenever I can, and I appreciate all they do to help kids become lifelong readers and learners.


 Library Visit photos by Tom Chin

A Lion’s Pride of Programs
As a past librarian, performer, teacher, and arts-based school founding director, I’m passionate about education and helping others pursue their passions. My master’s degree project was based on teaching writing, and I love getting reluctant writers writing. My interactive visits focus on ways to get unstuck, to quiet the inner critic, and to find joy in creating.

My “Storymaking” presentation for primary grades uses stories, songs, “magic threes” story structure, and my secret story recipe to get kids thinking like writers.


To write stories, you get characters in trouble, so my “Be a Troublemaker!” presentation for older kids is designed to leave them inspired, unblocked, and eager to write. I also present at literacy events, Young Author conferences, and writing residencies.

Troublemaker Deb as Monster Mama from Monsters on Machines
Author’s Roar
Libraries are the great equalizer. When funding is short, you need to put your money where it can do the most good, where it reaches the most people, and where anyone can access it. Besides the obvious boost to literacy, access to information keeps our country great and supports individuals in their pursuits and passions. As a school librarian, I was privileged to work under a superintendent that understood the value of libraries and librarians, and when times got tough, a bigger share of the pie went to where everyone could use it—the libraries. That’s the kind of philosophy we need to apply today. Who else besides librarians is going to make sure our students can effectively access, evaluate, and apply information in this rapidly changing world?

Library Lion’s ONE LAST ROAR

I’m proud to be part of a group of authors who contribute to worthy causes through their online school author visits. Started by Suzanne Williams, a friend who is also a past school librarian, we use Skype and other programs to visit with classrooms who normally wouldn’t be able to meet authors in person. You can find us at OnlineAuthorVisits   

For more information and an invitation, please sign up for my email list on my blog Deb Lund ad lib or my Facebook page DebLundAuthor  

Thank you, Deb for sharing your Library Love with us!
Find Deb on Twitter  
And watch her fun book trailers here on YouTube

Love Libraries? Give a Roar in “Comments” below.

Note to Librarians: If you’re a Youth Librarian working in a school or public library we’d love to hear about you and your library. Contact Janet at jlcarey@hotmail.com for an interview slot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment